Caribbean Pumpkin Soup with Sweet & Vicious Pumpkin Seeds
(a creamy taste of autumn with a kick of leftover summer heat)
What you need:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans organic pumpkin purée
3 cups organic vegetable stock
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup organic coconut milk
1 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
Sweet and Vicious Pumpkin Seeds (recipe to follow)
What to do:
1. Toppings: Prepare Sweet and Vicious Pumpkin Seeds and allow to cool while preparing soup.
2. Aromatics: In a medium sauce pan over low heat, add the olive oil, shallots, cumin pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until shallots are slightly translucent and starting to brown a bit.
3. Add in Liquids: Stir in pumpkin, stock and lime juice. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until just bubbling.
4. Simmer: Reduce heat and stir in coconut milk. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with a heaping serving of Sweet and Vicious Pumpkin Seeds and a few drops of chili oil (if desired).
Sweet and Vicious Pumpkin Seeds
makes 1 cup
What you need
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl add all ingredients and use your hands to mix until pumpkin seeds are fully coated.
3. Spread evenly onto prepared baking sheet and bake until just starting to brown around the edges (about 15 minutes).
4. Allow to cool.